Tips for Success
1. Research takes time. The better your research, the easier writing the paper will be. So, use your time wisely.
2. Use the tools given to you in this guide. It will save you time and energy.
3. Ask questions.
4. Be open minded. You will need to do a lot of thinking. The answers will not be jumping out at you.
5. Stay positive. Your teachers and library staff are here to help you succeed. You can do this!
ALL students will write a 5 paragraph essay, emphasizing the theme “Rising Above Yourself.” Once completed, you will have the option to enter your essay into the Olathe District writing contest (see below).
**Money prizes will be awarded to the 3 top entries submitted! $200- 1st place; $125.00- 2nd place; $75.00- 3rd place. All entries must be submitted through Ms. Oswald by Monday, November 11th.
Preparation: You will research and prepare the following information:
1. Research people who have changed the world by contributing in one way or another.
2. Choose 1 inspirational person on which you will focus your paper.
3. Collect information about that person including the following:
-Accomplishments/How they changed the world
4. Compare yourself to that person and share why he/she inspires you.
5. Share how you will “rise above yourself” to change the world, as your inspiring person did.